You wake up to 10, 20 or 200 WhatsApp messages, emails and other notifications all competing for your attention before you even get a chance to brush your teeth. You walk into the kitchen and your wife, kids or roommates release a machine gun of information before you reach your favorite source of morning hydration. By the time you get into the office your mind is racing, useless and useful information mixed into a hurricane of thoughts jumbled together. Your brain is now trapped in reaction mode.
When your brain falls into reaction mode (RM) your day becomes everything but yours. RM kills 1000s of brilliant ideas each year. When your mental clarity is polluted by RM, your chances of success plummet. I used to get trapped in RM WAY TOO OFTEN. With the help of several amazing mentors & a trained professional I learned how to protect my brain from RM.
I call RM’s opposite SPEM, which stands for strategic planning & execution mode. When you end a work day feeling a total sense of peace and accomplishment, this is typically because you just spent the day in SPEM.
SPEM is where the magic happens, others refer to this as: flow state, total zen, being in the zone, and in the world of ADHD we refer to this as hyper-focus. My goal was to learn how to live in SPEM, all work day, every work day. So here we are, I hope this helps 🤍 Adi Soozin
4 habits that keep my mind in SPEM
Set a morning routine (maybe try SAVERS?)
The number one way that I shift my brain from RM to SPEM is by going through my own version of this morning routine. Check out this 6 step infographic & modify it to fit your schedule. I switched it around so mine looks like this:
- Meditate (in the sauna or take a shower then meditate in our library)
- Affirmations & Vision board
- Drink a protein shake while reading & writing, or walk our dog while listening to an audio book.
Your brain is not a hard drive. Cut back the mental chatter by using something like Trello to keep track of your various projects & processes. Here’s an example of how I set up my personal Trello.
You read a book, or attend a course & an hour after it ends you have already forgotten exactly how and what you wanted to implement in your own business. This is what I have my “Idea backlog” column for. As I read / learn I drop key takeaways into this column immediately.
Between 2 and 3pm a pessimistic mood will wash over me, I used to let it tank my afternoon and morph my evening into one of scrolling social media to create a new list of 101 things to regret and envy as I viewed other peoples’ life highlight reels. In my search for a solid SPEM existence I found that a new habit leads to a much better outcome.
When the pessimistic self talk appears at that witching hour I now go into my meditation corner (a small corner of the house where a chair faces a book shelf). I light a candle that smells like a carefree moment from my childhood and I play two songs. As those two songs play I close my eyes and imagine a random ten minute snippet somewhere in the future I’m currently working to create.
I have a hard cover book that I keep in the second drawer in my office. In it, I write out all of my goals and I strike through them with a single line once each goal is achieved. Skimming over all of the past goals crossed off, is a nice way to remind myself of how far I’ve come in such a short amount of time.
I review the list of goals a few times per week to remind myself to stay focused on investing my time in thoughts, endeavors and activities that will allow me to reach these goals.
3 supplements that keep my mind in SPEM
Please consult your doctor before trying anything new.
“POWER ON CREATIVE FOCUS: Half the caffeine, more mental clarity; replace your regular beans with ground 100% organic Arabica coffee beans & 500mg of organic Lion’s Mane + Chaga mushroom powder” – An excerpt from their Amazon product description
HumanN BeetElite Superfood Concentrated Beet Powder Nitric Oxide Boosting Athletic Endurance Supplement
“USED BY TOP ATHLETES BACKED OUR HUMANN SCIENCE- Over 120 collegiate and professional sports teams trust & use our beet crystals to promote energy and stamina for peak athletic performance” – An excerpt from their Amazon product description
“A Deck of 64 Affirmation Cards to Help You Find Your Inner Strength. Packaged in a beautiful gift box, this deck of 64 cards contains 128 unique pieces of art exquisitely illustrated by five artists. Each vibrant card contains a powerful affirmation on one side and a visualization on the other to enlighten, inspire, and bring joy to your life.” – An excerpt from their Amazon product description.
4 Strategies to shift your mind into SPEM
- Start Your Day Off Right with the SAVERS Morning Routine
- Take a break to do a guided meditation
- Take a 10-15 minute walk outside of the office
- Flip through a deck of affirmation cards like this one
5 Card decks to shift your mind into SPEM
- Power Thought Cards: A 64 Card Deck
- Super Attractor: A 52-Card Deck
- Light Seer’s: A 78-Card Deck & Guidebook
- 101 Mindful Practices to Manage Distress, Regulate Emotions & Build Better Relationships
- 108 Practices to Calm the Mind, Soothe the Nervous System, and Live Your Life to the Fullest
17 Books to keep your mind in SPEM
- Brainfluence by Roger Dooley
- Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss
- The Ultimate Sales Machine: Turbocharge Your Business with Relentless Focus on 12 Key Strategies by Chet Holmes
- Virtual Freedom by Chris Ducker
- Algorithms to Live By by Brian Christian & Tom Griffiths
- Smarter: The New Science of Building Brain Power by Dan Hurley
- Awaken the giant within by Tony Robbins
- You are a badass by Jen Sincero
- You are a badass at making money by Jen Sincero
- Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin
- 21 Secrets of Million-Dollar Sellers: America’s Top Earners Reveal the Keys to Sales Success by Stephen J Harvill
- Start From Zero by Dane Maxwell
- Predictably Irrational, Revised and Expanded Edition: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely
- The Purple Cow by Seth Godin
- Growth Hacker Marketing by Ryan Holiday
- Don’t Make Me Think by Steve Krug
- 100 Days of Growth by Sujan Patel & Ryan Wormley